Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Walking On The Sunny Side Of The Street.....

I was asked today why I named my blog Sunny Side Up Senior. Well, because with all of the negative media we all get everyday from the media and newspapers, Twitter tweets, Facebook feeds, in addition to the stresses of everyday life, I thought we all need some place to visit with good news.


I am by nature a very positive person. But I even get my fill of negativity. I have to block it out. Turn it off. Ignore it. It's not good for any of us. It changes us. Negativity breeds negatively and bad attitudes. And bad attitudes are contagious!!


So, if negativity is contagious....so is positivity!! Have you ever noticed if someone smiles at you or compliments your outfit or hairdo, how much better you suddenly feel? We've all heard how an act of Paying It Forward by paying for someone's coffee at Starbucks or paying for their lunch at a drive thru makes their day.

So why don't we do that by handing out compliments? Or helping someone who is struggling? Or by just being nice to someone who you notice is suffering or unhappy? It doesn't cost a dime. And you could make someone's day.


I know it isn't always easy to walk on the sunny side of the street because life is not always a bowl of cherries. It is complicated. And challenging. And I am fully aware that some people handle adversity better than others. We are all fragile at certain times for different reasons.

I walk on the sunny side of the street because I choose to. But I am a realist. I do not live in la-la land. I have had my share of unpleasant situations. However, I choose to roll with the punches and stay grounded. I've learned to survive because I stayed focused and turned my negatives into positives. My mantra is "I know this too will pass.” As hard as it is, getting upset will not solve your problem. It will make the problem worse. It will make you feel feel worse, not to mention what it does to those around you. It's not easy sometimes. And it takes effort. Some days lots of effort.


But I urge you to give it a try. Make a conscious effort to smile at a stranger. Compliment the checker at the grocery store. Comfort a crying child. And if your able, Pay It Forward in some small way. I promise you that you'll feel better, those around you will feel better and you will also be able to walk on the sunny side of the street!

....until next time, 
                    keep your Sunny Side Up 🌞

No comments:

Post a Comment