Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Playing With My Food......Sorry Mom!!

My mom always scolded me when I played with my food! She was an awesome cook, but ironically I never learned to cook from her. I grew up in the era where children were 'seen, but not heard' so I was always told to go play when she was cooking.


I did eventually learn to cook. But it was all the fat and sugar laden stuff that filled your belly and expanded your hips. Oh, the damage I did to myself and my loved ones.  So now in my 'golden years' I'm learning a whole new way to eat and cook....the WFPB way!!

Fresh vegetables, fresh juicy fruits, legumes and rice and grains! And recipes made without added oils or sugars. No meat, foul, fish or dairy....nada!!  I've discovered a whole new world of spices and flavors. I use very few processed foods, with the exception of organic canned beans, organic canned tomatoes and a few frozen veggies and fruits, mainly for convenience.

Today in my kitchen I did some prep work for a few meals this week. First, I made my world-famous quinoa salad. You can find that recipe here.

Then I dug out my Instant Pot....oh, how I love my Instant Pot!!! I made some black rice to go with tonight's dinner. Easy peasy!! Two cups water, one cup rice. Put IP on manual for 15 minutes....perfect rice every time!!



Then came the Peanut Sauce. Another easy, peasy recipe. You can do this in a mini food processor like I did, or a blender!! It is divine!! A tad spicy....so add the sriracha a little at a time to your liking.

Peanut Sauce

This easy Peanut Sauce recipe comes together in minutes and is perfect for so many delicious dishes! It makes about 2 cups

Ingredients

1/2 cup creamy organic peanut butter
2 tablespoons soy sauce or coconut aminos
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon natural maple syrup
1-2 tablespoons Sriracha (more or less to taste)
1 teaspoon fresh or jarred ginger
1 teaspoon fresh or jarred garlic
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup roughly chopped peanuts (optional)

Directions

Add peanut butter, soy sauce, lime juice, maple syrup, sriracha sauce, ginger and garlic to the container of a blender or food processor. With the motor running, slowly pour water through the chute until the mixture is creamy and reaches the desired consistency. More water will make the peanut sauce thinner and less will make it thick.



Next up is Zucchini Zoodles. These are just spiralized zucchini. I love my spiralizer...I just need to remember to use it more often.


And finally Steamed Vegetables!! Again, my beloved Instant Pot to the rescue. I dumped (that's gourmet talk right there) about 8 cups of assorted frozen veggies in the pot. Turn on steam to zero (0) and let the magic begin. It does take about 20 minutes, but do a quick release as soon as the IP beeps. Perfect steamed veggies!!



And there you have it....a big healthy, yummy dinner that won't clog your arteries or expand your waistline! Doesn't this just make you wanna play with your food??

...until next time, keep your Sunny Side Up 🌞




No comments:

Post a Comment