Saturday, July 7, 2018

Don't call me a Vegan......I'm a WFPB'er

I'm not a vegan!!! I don't eat vegan cheeses, faux mock meats and other processed products just because they don't have meat or dairy. To me processed means unhealthy. Processed means there are a gazillion additives and chemicals added so that it has a shelf life of 2 or 3 years and beyond.

If someone chooses to live A WFPB or a vegan diet, why do they want a product that "bleeds like meat". That makes no sense to this girl!!! If they don't want to eat meat or its byproducts, or kill animals, why do they want their food to taste like it? To bleed like it? To melt like it?


Plus most vegan cheeses and veggie burgers are highly processed to get the flavors and textures just right. Aren't highly processed foods unhealthy? Isn't that what we are trying to avoid? And, the environment is harmed by the highly processed foods. These processed foods pollute the planet more than whole foods.

A vegan diet can also consist of sodas, chips, Oreos, added sugar, refined grains and oils which are all unhealthy vegan foods. So in my opinion, vegan does not mean caring about your health. Being vegan means caring about morals, animal cruelty. Veganism is an ideology, not a lifestyle.


Now don't take this wrong. Vegans have their beliefs and their rights to be vegan. I applaud them for that. But I choose a different path...a different lifestyle. But, it wasn't always this way. For 70 years, if it wasn't nailed down, I ate it. Without forethought. Without regrets. Then one day....I won't go into that now... but you can read all about it here.

So I choose health....first and foremost. A WFPB diet is inherently healthier than vegan diet. It focuses on minimally processed foods that are nutritious. Whole Foods Plant Based. A WFPB diet also seeks to reduce or eliminate intake of refined sugar, salt, oil and refined grains.



This is healthful both for human health and the health of the environment. A person following a WFPB diet over a vegan diet should live longer and healthier. And WFPB diet costs less than a vegan diet, too. Vegan cheeses, mock meats and other replacement products are far more expensive than whole foods.

Like all lifestyle choices, it is exactly that....choices. I don't understand the choices some folks make, but they are their choices. There is no wrong or right. It all comes down to the motivation behind your diet and lifestyle. And I'm not perfect 100% of the time. After all, I am human. But 99% of the time I only consume WFPB foods.

If you want to improve your health a whole food plant based diet might also be for you the way to go. If you care for the ethical treatment of animals: the vegan diet/lifestyle is the way to go. If you want both: the whole food plant-based vegan diet/lifestyle is great.
Whatever ”diet” fits your lifestyle, there are benefits to both. One thing is for sure, both are delicious and doing the planet a great favor.

As for me....
  • I choose healthy....
  • I choose to live longer....
  • I choose not to add cancer causing foods and chemicals to my body....
  • I choose plants!!! 
  • Lots and lots of plants. 
  • I choose WFPB baby!!!!

I hope you will join  me along with millions of others!!




....until next time, keep your Sunny Side Up 🌞



No comments:

Post a Comment